12 October 2013

You call that Cream of Mushroom soup Air Canada?

I love the Air Canada lounges - don't get me wrong - really I do,
especially the business centre, the free newspapers (Globe and Mail
anyone) and magazines. They also offer up an honour bar and food. But it
is rare to see them list the ingredients of what they do offer up. In
this case they did. Now you might obsess about your weight (too fat, too
skinny, or maybe just right), wonder why you don't have energy, think
you eat right but aren't really sure. I'm a bit of a label reader. What
I'm looking for are just a few words that help direct my food choices.

Cream of mushroom soup sounds so innocent. My guy and I made some the
other day so for fun I thought I would list what did not go into our
soup but showed up in the Air Canada lounge soup (which I think might be
provided by CARA food services).

What didn't go into my soup:
Modified milk ingredients
Modified corn starch
Hydrogenated soybean/cottonseed oil
Corn Syrup Solids,
Maltodextrin (corn, wheat)
Autolyzed yeast extract
Colour (at least it is Canadian company they are using as colour has the
U included)
Modified cellulose
Soy Lecithin
Flavour and artificial flavour (just what is that?)
Sodium Phoshate
Lactose
Disodium inosinate
Disodium guanylate
propylene glycol (sounds like anti-freeze)
Calcium phosphate
guar gum
BHA
Xanthan gum
sulphites (okay this appears on my wine labels)

What our soups shared in common: Mushrooms, salt, sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment